Subject: Pseudo audio device
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/10/2007 22:25:42
Heyas folks --

I'm wondering if there is any interest in a pseudo audio device driver
that does nothing but push raw PCM data back to userland.

I discovered the rtunes project (http://www.nazgul.ch/dev_rtunes.html)
today, which transcodes WAV and PCM data to Apple Lossless Audio, then
pumps the data to an Apple Airport that supports AirTunes. So that's
kind've cool, but I need to either pipe PCM to the rtunes application, or
modify existing applications to use the rtunes support library.

Instead of this, I wrote a simple audio device driver that pushes raw PCM
back to userland. It allows me to redirect the PCM data written to an MI
audio device back to userland, and I fed this data into rtunes for
seamless operation with any audio consumer.

So, I ask -- is there any interest in this pseudo-device driver?

Cheers,
Jared