Subject: Re: DEBUG/DIAGNOSTIC/LOCKDEBUG by default
To: matthew sporleder <msporleder@gmail.com>
From: Antti Kantee <pooka@cs.hut.fi>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/06/2007 14:10:17
On Tue Nov 06 2007 at 07:03:34 -0500, matthew sporleder wrote:
> > Actually, I believe in the "no debug options at all" approach, i.e. all
> > debugging code enabled all the time, but that's another bikeshed.
> >

> Isn't the ideal situation to have these options available at runtime,
> then less desirable would be to toggle them at boot, and then least
> desirable is in the kernel config itself?

Ignoring the technical aspects: No, that doesn't solve the problem:
"whoops, had a crash, better toggle my debugging options on now...
oh... bummer" ;)

And when you do turn them on your problem of course magically doesn't
happen anymore.

--
Antti Kantee <pooka@iki.fi>                     Of course he runs NetBSD
http://www.iki.fi/pooka/                          http://www.NetBSD.org/