Subject: Re: A JBD file-system (generic Journal file for ext2)
To: Avi <amal029@ec.auckland.ac.nz>
From: Adam Hamsik <haaaad@gmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/18/2007 12:44:24

Hi!
On Sep 18, 2007, at 11:12 AM, Avi wrote:

> Hello,
>      I was thinking of implementing a JBD (something similar to
> /usr/src/linux/fs/jbd) in Netbsd for providing journaling to
> ext2 file system. I wanted to know if any work has already been
> done with regards to this....Since I do not see any jbd code
> anywhere in the source.

I'm happy to see that you want to work on this.

Probably better solution is use ufs library to create maintain
journal (we can use journaling as mount option then). This library
have to be jbd compatible if we want to use it for ext3 log.

> If yes could any one point me to the right direction.

We have done(mjf@,pavel@,wrstunden@) and me some work on this area.
mjf@ have written ufs-trans library [1]. Which can be used to create
filesystem transactions.

I 'm working on ext3fs [2]. For now I can read/find jbd journal
superblock. But
problem is that I don't have enough informations about jbd journal
and therefore I have to read linux jbd code which is little bit ugly :).

> If no what does one thing of this Idea..
> The idea is to provide a generic enough API for working with ext2
> and also with FFS.

Yes if you want, you can contact me with jabber/icq and we can
cordinate our effort.

> regards,

[1]http://mtn-host.prjek.net/viewmtn/ufs-trans/branch/changes/
org.netbsd.mjf.ufs-trans
[2]http://mtn-host.prjek.net/viewmtn/ufs-trans/branch/changes/
haad.ext3fs

Regards
Adam Hamsik
jabber: haad@jabber.org
icq: 249727910

Proud NetBSD user.

We program to have fun.
Even when we program for money, we want to have fun as well.
~ Yukihiro Matsumoto