Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/sys
To: Antti Kantee <pooka@cs.hut.fi>
From: Andrew Doran <ad@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/29/2007 23:48:36
On Sun, Jul 29, 2007 at 08:42:12PM +0300, Antti Kantee wrote:

> You are fixing a different problem.  It should be fixed independently of
> this issue.  They just happened to be intertwined.  But that can happen
> $whenever - at least I'm not aware of any more problems with the current
> rele-then-lock weirdosity.

Ok, maybe we are. I'll have to read back but problem I'm describing is
certainly there.

> > o We'd need a VOP_RWLOCK or VOP_RANGELOCK for concurrent reads/writes.
>
> Is a rangelock really helpful?

I was thinking of databases. Since it would be file system internal, there's
no reason we couldn't start out with the file system ignoring any supplied
ranges and locking the inode outright as is done now. Do you see something
else?

Andrew