Subject: Re: Device power management patch
To: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/20/2007 08:29:40
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 06:59:50 -0400 (EDT)
"Jared D. McNeill" <jmcneill@invisible.ca> wrote:

> With my current patches, I whine and complain at boot if a driver
> doesn't support power management. Once I get a bit further, I plan on
> making the "put system to sleep" path depend on every single driver
> instance supporting it or the request to go to sleep will be denied.

*Please* print a message about such drivers...

Better yet -- that's the sort of thing that can be detected
quasi-statically.  At boot time, try to send a no-op message to all
such hooks, so people are informed up front that they can't suspend the
machine, and which driver is at fault.  (I've long had a habit of
running near-GENERIC kernels -- that way, I'll know what to exclude...)

I say "quasi" because of dynamically loaded drivers, but those can be
probed at attach time.