Subject: Re: Intel HEX parser for firmload(9)
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/13/2007 09:56:51
On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 08:44:31AM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 12:07:01AM +0000, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
> > Would it be ok to add an Intel HEX[1] parser to firmload(9) ?
>
> I'd prefer to have a userland converter and just put the binary image
> there. Would there be any downsides to that aproach?

The HEX format allows to have different memory regions in the same
file, it can't be converted to a simple binary image (it can be something
like a sparse file). This could be emulated by calling firmload() for
each memory region, but this probably mean you have the firmware
split in several files ...