Subject: Snapshot code bogusly hides inodes 64, 16384?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/06/2007 20:17:29
On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 08:12:59PM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> I built a kernel with options APPLE_UFS and mounted a filesystem created
> on MacOS 10.4.10 (x86).  Mounting read-only worked fine.  Mounting read-write
> emitted messages from the FFS snapshot code about "non-snapshot inode 64"
> and "non-snapshot inode 16384".
>
> Are these inodes reserved by the snapshot code?  If they are, is it safe
> to have the snapshot code in our default kernels, which can mount (much)
> older FFS filesystems that may have these inodes in use?

In fact, even a kernel built with options FFS_NO_SNAPSHOT emits the
same mount-time messages for this filesystem:

ffs_snapshot_mount: non-snapshot inode 16384
ffs_snapshot_mount: non-snapshot inode 64

Now, this confuses me, because I'd think those inodes would have to be in
use to trigger this message -- no? -- but find -inum -print doesn't see
them; this makes me suspect the FFS code is hiding them.

However, fsdb says both are unallocated.

Can anyone help me see what's going on here?

Thor