Subject: Re: Merging usbdevs files from others BSD
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org, netbsd@lists.veego.de>
From: M. Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/06/2007 09:03:48
In message: <20070704101733.GC26703@arresum.veego.de>
            Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@lists.veego.de> writes:
: On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 11:18:04PM +0000, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
: > Hi,
: >
: > Following a discussion on sources-changes@ about merging usbdevs file from the
: > *BSD, I made a small ruby script to handle this more or less automatically.
: > Warner Losh already told me he merged freebsd and netbsd one by hand, and tried
: > to figure out where things did differ, but I think this script could still be
: > usefull for the future (and for merging more than 2 two usbdevs files).
:
: What does it give us if we don't support these devices?
: Yes, it would be nice to have a name instead of a number, but then you have
: to deal with that we not really support them.
: Then there is the different short vs. long names, which was allready mentioned
: that this would increase the kernel size and the additional new entries.

Personally, I think USBVERBOSE was a bad idea and should be retired.
The place for large tables of device names is in userland, not stuck
in wired memory in the kernel.  Without USBVERBOSE, the amount of
information is adequate to determine a number of things about the
ugen device that just attached, for example.  Since there are dozens
of entries in this file already that NetBSD doesn't support, adding
more only adds size to the USBVERBOSE kernels.

However, I know people like to be able to more completely identify usb
devices.  I've started working on installing src/sys/dev/usb/usbdevs
into the same place that FreeBSD installs its pci device database
file.  I've also started modifications to usbdevs(1) to read this file
and optionally print out a longer name from this file.

If I were to do that, would it be acceptible to the larger NetBSD
community for me to commit the merged file and fix the drivers that
reference the names that will change?  I'm happy to do the leg work
here, and I do have access to the NetBSD repository to do so.

Warner