Subject: RE: reboot problems unmounting root
To: Bill Stouder-Studenmund <wrstuden@NetBSD.org>
From: De Zeurkous <zeurkous@nichten.info>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/05/2007 20:36:02
Haai,

Once again I witness a discussion with increasing amazement. Why layer
fs's at the vnode level if you're going to run into silly problems? The
(kernel versions of) the file-based system calls (perhaps augmented by
more specific calls for metadata) should do the job perfectly; it's
obviously a much cleaner design. In practice, this probably means removing
most (all?) layer code from the kernel once puffs(4) is stable.

Also, since my question about the appearant usage of '/root' instead of
'/' is presently unaswered, I presume '/' was a floppy image or RAM disk,
and '/root' was not ~superluser? If that is the case, I'd like to advocate
the implementation of a pivotfs() system call instead; again, it's more
generic and subsequently cleaner. However, I do not know what exactly that
will involve -- can anyone enlighten me? Thanks in advance.

Baai,

De Zeurkous

Friggin' Machines!