Subject: Re: texinfo switched to GPLv3 -- ok for base?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/03/2007 12:49:03
On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 12:32:00PM -0400, Todd Vierling wrote:
> On 7/3/07, Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com> wrote:
> >Google for "Tivoization" for more information.  Linus's take, with
> >which I mostly agree, is that GPLv2 was completely focused on software
> >(you can modify, redistribute, and run the modified work on *a*
> >computer), whereas GPLv3 changes the last part to "...and run the
> >modified work on *the* original computer that shipped with the
> >binary".

Yes, this is one of the major problems.  Note that as far as I can tell,
it is not possible to simultaneously conform with the requirements of
GPLv3 and of most standards for embedded device security (at least not
at any useful level of standard conformance), e.g. FIPS 140-2.  This is
because GPLv3 requires anyone in the world, upon request, to be given
a copy of any keys used to sign firmware for any device containing GPLv3
software, as Simon noted.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon	                               tls@rek.tjls.com
  "All of my opinions are consistent, but I cannot present them all