Subject: Re: proplib changes
To: Jachym Holecek <freza@NetBSD.org>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/29/2007 10:32:35
On Fri, 29 Jun 2007, Jachym Holecek wrote:

> I've changed my mind and won't waste Core's time on this. The work was
> done with good intent, but I was simply mistaken -- there's no point
> in adding support for arbitrary codecs (XML and binary are sufficient
> and pledit will help wherever direct human manipulation is needed[*]).
>
> Consider the proposal withdrawn, and sorry about the amount the spam it
> induced (although some good technical points raised as well as some
> wildly delusioned replies have been a true eye opener on the subject).
>
> 	-- Jachym
>
> [*] pledit can let the user edit plist's real structure (a tree, basically),
>    something a text editor can't ever archieve (unless we're talking about
>    emacs-or-such with a "plist mode")

 	Is there any sense in a pledit option to dump a plist into
 	SCN, and convert back from SCN to text/binary plist format.

 	That way some people can define a vipl (akin to visudo or
 	vipw) to edit any plist, binary or text in a format they
 	like. All files stay in native plist format on disk.

 	Any either way, many thanks for the work you did on SCN.