Subject: Re: proplib changes
To: Trevor Talbot <quension@gmail.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/28/2007 17:58:18
On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 02:46:43PM -0700, Trevor Talbot wrote:

> I don't recall anyone mentioning it explicitly, but XML itself has a
> technical advantage of being a cross-platform format already, and
> plist specifically has a public DTD.  Any XML processing tools are
> thus capable of working with plists, without needing to use proplib.

Oh, piffle.  That's true in the same vacuous way as the statement "ASCII
is a cross-platform format": it doesn't do you any particular good if you
have to edit _this particular_ ASCII file.

Don't see why?  I'm guessing you don't have to administer both OS X and
Solaris server systems: they both have XML configuration files for most
network services, both use public DTDs, and that's as far as it goes: have
fun remembering which way you have to write that configuration file _this_
time...