Subject: Re: proplib changes
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@planix.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/28/2007 16:32:27
--pgp-sign-Multipart_Thu_Jun_28_16:32:26_2007-1

At Tue, 26 Jun 2007 09:07:17 +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:
>=20
> I see no need for the kernel version to support any codecs other than XML.

Given th way justified this claim below, the same can be said for the
argument that the kernel version should be restricted to the "very
compact, fast-to-parse format, [...] binary property list format".
(Which is what I expected to be the case when proplib was first
implemented!)

Seriously.  The thought of having even a DTD-specific XML parser in the
kernel just pushes all the wrong buttons in all the wrong ways.

> I think that the human need to edit plists in a non-XML format should be
> provided via an editor wrapper that reads the XML file, converts it to the
> user's preferred format, spawns the user's preferred editor, and then
> converts back to XML.

I.e. to paraphrase:

I think that the human need to edit plists in a non-binary format should
be provided via an editor wrapper that reads the binary file, converts
it to the user's preferred format, spawns the user's preferred editor,
and then converts back to binary.

If you can't swallow that then you have to toss out your own argument
for XML for the very same reasons.

I see no reason for the kernel version to support any codecs other than
the binary one.

--=20
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098 W:+1 416 489-5852 x122 VE3TCP RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>