Subject: Re: proplib changes
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/28/2007 16:39:24
--xaMk4Io5JJdpkLEb

On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 03:58:42PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> 1. the relatively arbitrary choice of using the enormous bloat of XML
>    syntax was made unilaterally (just because other mostly proprietary
>    systems chose it doesn't mean it's the right choice)

I don't think it was relatively arbitrary.  It's been used in several
places and does seem to serve the purpose well enough in those places.

> 2. since despite the fact that XML syntax is in a textual format it's
>    still not really human friendly (incredibly unfriendly, actually),

The parenthetical, at least, seems to be at least somewhat subjective.
I don't think the unfriendliness-to-some/many was really recognized
until after the fact.  In which case, it's hard to see how the need
for a tool could have been anticipated.

I have yet to meet a proplist that's a pain to deal with.  Raw XML,
I've had problems with, but proplists, no.  It's a bit more of a
pain dealing with the idiosyncracies of the various other formats
out there.

I think it's pretty clear that the format is going to be as it is
(with the addition of a binary option to handle at least the "bloat"
concern) unless there are sound technical arguments against it.
I don't think the mailing list is the best place for that discussion
right now.  Can some of the people who are passionate about it,
please consider if their concerns are personal taste, resistance
to change, resistance to XML, or something else, and if the concerns
are "something else," please take the discussion off-line?

-allen

--=20
Allen Briggs  |  http://www.ninthwonder.com/~briggs/  |  briggs@ninthwonder=
=2Ecom