Subject: proplib and comments (Re: proplib changes)
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/28/2007 13:13:17
On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 09:03:09AM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Jun 26, 2007, at 3:17 AM, Trevor Talbot wrote:
>
> >Plists are XML, so yes -- XML comments.  It appears SCN supports
> >comments too, but proplib doesn't.  I don't think it necessarily
> >should, but you can't write an effective converter without dealing
> >with this issue somehow.  Losing user-defined information in a
> >for-humans format is not cool.
>
> comments are just that -- comments.  They are semantically
> meaningless, and so, while the parser can handle normal XML comments,
> the comments do not appear in the resulting dictionary.  Since they're
> not in the dictionary, when the dictionary is once again externalized,
> there obviously won't be any comments.

Stuff like this has always bugged me.  That a line is "just a comment"
doesn't mean it is unimportant, or that it is unnecessary.  If I take
the time add a comment to a config file describing something about it,
it really pisses me off if some tool wipes it out.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I got the impression that one of the features
that proplib is supposed to provide is the ability to have extensions
to a dictionary that don't necessarily need to be understood by every
application that uses it.  It seems that comments would simply be a
case of this.

eric