Subject: Re: kernel API changes between patch releases (Re: UFS quota null pointer dereference)
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pavel@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/27/2007 21:30:41
On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 07:13:56PM +0200, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 10:54:35AM +0200, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 10:37:00AM +0200, Juergen Hannken-Illjes wrote:
> > > An LKM will fail to load if the kernel version doesn't match so we can
> > > expect admins to think twice before they use `modload -f'.
> >
> > But when pulled up to the stable branches, the kernel version will match.
>
> OTOH, the kernel version will be bumped even for a patch release (3.x.y).
> So the question really is: should "modload -f" be supported between patch
> releases, or not?  And between stable (3.x) releases?

The kernel version should not be bumped between patch and stable
releases unless there is a real incompatibility. It is silly be forced to
recompile LKMs just because a new version has been tagged.

The problem is that we use __NetBSD_Version__ to indicate two things:
API/ABI and user visible version number. IMHO we should just kill the
second usage - uname -r should be enough.

Pavel