Subject: pledit was Re: proplib changes
To: Bill Stouder-Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Adam Hamsik <haaaad@gmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/27/2007 11:04:46
On Jun 27, 2007, at 2:09 AM, Bill Stouder-Studenmund wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 10:46:32PM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>> Jared D. McNeill skrev:
>>>
>>> Are you joking?
>>
>> No. I have had times when I have had to modify or overwrite
>> configuration files in systems where almost nothing have been
>> working as
>> it should.
>> The idea that you'll have a tool converting from some tricky
>> format into
>> something human readable and editable, which you then edit, and
>> then it
>> gets converted back basically requires that some bits of the
>> system is
>> working right, or the answer will be "reinstall the system, please".
>
> Not really.
>
> I agree that things can really go down the drain. However if your
> system
> is that bad off, why are you trying to use it to fix it?
>
> We have the /rescue tools for this purpose. We should add "pledit" to
> /rescue when we have it. vi is already there.

Ok I think that we need pledit to edit and use plist's in /etc.
How we can do pledit. I see 2 way's.

1) improve vi to understand plist's and use it for plain text files
and for plist's.(we can also generate two copies of vi one for plain
text and another for plist's)

2) write plist editor from scratch :(.

3) write converter from pro human file to plist. I think that we can
use sh for this.

[snip]

What are opinions of netbsd developers about these options?

Regards
Adam Hamsik
jabber: haad@jabber.org
icq: 249727910

Proud NetBSD user.

We program to have fun.
Even when we program for money, we want to have fun as well.
~ Yukihiro Matsumoto