Subject: Re: proplib changes
To: Trevor Talbot <quension@gmail.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/26/2007 09:03:09
On Jun 26, 2007, at 3:17 AM, Trevor Talbot wrote:

> Plists are XML, so yes -- XML comments.  It appears SCN supports
> comments too, but proplib doesn't.  I don't think it necessarily
> should, but you can't write an effective converter without dealing
> with this issue somehow.  Losing user-defined information in a
> for-humans format is not cool.

comments are just that -- comments.  They are semantically
meaningless, and so, while the parser can handle normal XML comments,
the comments do not appear in the resulting dictionary.  Since they're
not in the dictionary, when the dictionary is once again externalized,
there obviously won't be any comments.

Not that this matters much -- generally, the keys used in a dictionary
should be chosen so as to be descriptive, and nothing is a substitute
for good documentation on the schema used by any given application.

-- thorpej