Subject: Re: proplib changes
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/26/2007 09:07:17
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007, Jachym Holecek wrote:
>    o In userland version, pick default codec based on environment
>      variable.
>
>    o In kernel version, export the list of supported codecs via
>      sysctl ("kern.plist_codecs"?) and teach prop_*_ioctl() about it.

I see no need for the kernel version to support any codecs other than XML.
I think that the human need to edit plists in a non-XML format should be
provided via an editor wrapper that reads the XML file, converts it to the
user's preferred format, spawns the user's preferred editor, and then
converts back to XML.

If there will be sysctl nodes, I'd like them to be in a hierarchical
namespace like kern.plist.*, not in a flat namespace like kern.plist_*.

--apb (Alan Barrett)