Subject: Re: proplib changes
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/26/2007 01:21:41
On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 10:08:30PM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> Well, you know, I never really liked the BIND domain file syntax.
> Let's do another one!  How about for every other config syntax in the
> system!  That's great!  More choice!  Choice is good!  This is going
> to be as cool as having 37 different toasted oat O-shaped breakfast
> cereals to choose from!

I think that is an absolutely terrific idea, if we already have a tool
that can convert between the syntaxes at will.  Which is precisely what
the change to proplib that you find so objectional gives us.

What harm is done if we have 8,000 different syntaxes, if the tools do
seamless conversion between them all?

Nobody is trying to deprecate the XML syntax you like.  It's very, very
hard for me to understand why you have such a strong objection to the
syntax a considerable number of other people seem to like, when the
library can convert -- invisibly -- between the two.

This is a constructive effort to address one aspect of proplib that you
happen to like fine but others find annoying.  Nobody is complaining
about the existence of proplib, or its use (though for some reason you
seem to be reacting as if that were the case).  Calling people "stupid"
because they have preferences that differ from yours, when those preferences
are essentially _compatible_ with yours, is not a very good way to react to
this (or anything else), it seems to me.

Thor