Subject: Re: Boot properties, take 3
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/19/2007 21:06:11
On 19-Jun-07, at 8:12 PM, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> I wonder how we'll do that from a user/installer point: thow in
> GENERIC, and then have sets with different /netbsd.plist files to
> get _NOACPI, _LAPTOP, etc. kernel flavours?

I would personally like to see us start using GENERIC for
installation as well, but this should be a separate discussion.

> Will we stop having a lot of kernels, and have different .plist
> files for the various flavours in the future?

If we boot the installer with a GENERIC kernel, we could dump the
(now known-working) bootprops into the install root. That way you're
pretty much guaranteed to have a working config, with the exception
being the GENERIC/GENERIC.MP case. Maybe you get to select between
using GENERIC and GENERIC.MP for installation or something (or maybe
we grow a bit of smarts in the bootloader and detect whether we're
booting on a UP or MP system, selecting the appropriate kernel
automatically).

Cheers,
Jared