Subject: Re: Kernel config file
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/18/2007 16:02:49
Johnny Billquist wrote:

> Being able to edit the file yourself, and actually know *everything*
> it says, instead of relying on tools that are doing things you have no
> control over is considered an advantage for some people.
For some people. For a minority of people. I'm a lifelong Unix user, but
times have changed, and only using tools to manipulate data is a good
thing. If implemented right. For example, I like how Solaris' SMF
interface works (svcadm, svccfg), and it only uses tools to manipulate
the data.

If users want a textfile to edit, they could still do that with an XML
format. Also, you can just easily write a converter program that
converts back and forth to any text format; that should be a breeze
using proplib.

- Frank