Subject: Re: Kernel config file
To: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/17/2007 23:11:10
On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 10:47:53AM -0400, Jared D. McNeill wrote:
> 	        <key>userconf</key>
> 	        <array>
> 	                <string>disable acpi</string>
> 	                <string>disable isapnp</string>
> 	                <string>disable mca</string>
> 	                <string>disable eisa</string>
> 	                <string>disable pcmcia</string>
> 	        </array>

What is the point of encoding anything but instructions that you could give
to userconf at the prompt in this file?

(Note: this is not about plist format, I would like to understand why you
put three levels of wrappers [array,dict,xml] around a linear list of
input data)

i.e: why is the above not a simple file like:

--8<--
disable acpi
disable isapnp
disable mca
disable eisa
disable pcmcia
-->8--

Please explain, I realy don't understand the idea behind it.

Martin