Subject: Re: proplib changes
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Jachym Holecek <freza@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/12/2007 21:14:10
# Jason Thorpe 2007-06-12:
> On Jun 11, 2007, at 4:11 AM, Jachym Holecek wrote:
> >Add a "codec" argument to _externalize_to_file(), when NULL use the
> >default? (This is source-incompatible change to proplib API -- I'd
> >prefer that over coming up with an extra function to "externalize
> >to file with codec".)
>
> No, it should be a separate API call that takes a codec argument.
> Most applications don't care what codec is used and just want the
> default.  Applications that (pointlessly) care can bear the burden of
> the more complex API call.

In that case I'd prefer not to add the function, at least until there's
real demand for it. Userland version of proplib can pick default codec
for _externalize() calls based on an environment variable (except where
plists are passed to kernel) so that the user can enforce his choice
of favorite format.

	-- Jachym