Subject: Re: GPT support still needed?
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/07/2007 17:41:37
tor 2007-06-07 klockan 17.29 skrev Jason Thorpe:

> On Jun 7, 2007, at 2:21 AM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>
> > Jason Thorpe skrev:
> >> Uh, no.  There won't be any "NetBSD Disklabel" AT ALL.  The idea is
> >> that NetBSD will use GPT as the NATIVE partitioning format.  A BSD
> >> disklabel won't be present on the disk in any way, shape, or form.
> >
> > What about systems that don't have, care or know about GPT?
> > Will we keep disklabels there, or do you intend to do some strange
> > wrangling at that end instead, to get GPTs in somehow?
>
> ...and what systems have, care, or know about 4.4BSD disklabels, yet
> that's what we use currently.
>
> For systems whose firmware doesn't give a flying banana about the
> partition table format, GPT will be just as ignored by the firmware as
> BSD disklabels are.

I take it that this means you intend to switch them over to use GPTs. So
we'll "create" a format there, which I guess was designed for another
type of systems... Oh well, as long as it keeps as non-intrusive as
possible. BSD disklabels are rather nice, since they are rather simple,
and the design makes a lot of sense, when you don't have to mix in the
IBM PC MBR stuff, or other similar schemes.
The design on a PC, with the d-partition has never felt good to me. :-)
But I'm onld enough to remember the time when the partition layout was
hardcoded in the driver.

	Johnny