Subject: Re: Recursive partitioning
To: De Zeurkous <zeurkous@nichten.info>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/06/2007 20:25:35
On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 07:10:58PM -0000, De Zeurkous wrote:
> Haai,
>
> Considering ...  and the fancy footwork that still seems to be required
> to have multiple slices of NetBSD disklabels to coexist peacefully on
> the same drive,

Largely they can't, I did try it once and it was very confusing and I
very nearly trashed my main filesystem.

On i386 (etc) a disk can have multiple type 169 mbr partitions (so that
the mbr_bootsel code can select between different filesystems), but the
netbsd disklabel always describes the whole disk.  For safe-keeping it
is written to the start of ALL the type 169 mbr partitions, although
the kernel will normally read it from the booted partition.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk