Subject: wedges questions and next steps
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/06/2007 13:14:14
I would like to convert a lot of my systems to wedges, but I am not
finding documentation on some important aspects.  Any help?

1 Most of my systems grok MBR.  None grok GPT.  How do I put both an
  MBR and a GPT on the same disk?

2 I've looked in manual pages for mount, fstab, etc., and in
  /usr/share/examples/, but I have not found the document that tells me
  how to mount filesystems by, say, GPT label (GUID?).

3 Does anyone have a plan for uniquely identifying wedges on removable
  media such as USB / FireWire HDDs and floppy disks, which may or may
  use a "legacy" partitioning scheme, or no partitioning at all?

  It must help that most HDDs can be identified by a h/w serial number,
  and many FAT filesystems contain some sort of volume ID?

4 Is there anything like a roadmap for wedges?

Dave

dyoung@ojctech.com      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933 ext 24