Subject: RE: Recursive partitioning
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: De Zeurkous <zeurkous@nichten.info>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/05/2007 20:18:42
Haai,

On Tue, June 5, 2007 19:59, Martin Husemann wrote:
>>[snip]
>
> I am not sure why you would want such a complicated thing.

Complicated? You call that complicated? :X

Anyway, it's simply because it would fill some niche :^) To be precise, I
have a dedicated amd64 gaming system here that needs to run both NetBSD
(at least twice, stable and -current), Windoze 98SE, and a Slackware Lunix
install (the latter for the time being, that is). Practically, that means
I need legacy support combined with all the power of UNIX.

As for the NetBSD part of the problem, I don't want the branch-specific
file systems to be stacked upon another in one big happy disklabel -- even
if it would fit, which, considering my partitioning strategy, I'm not sure
of.

Besides, you wouldn't want to stick around with a limit of 16 partitions
forever, would you?

> Fixing remaining issues (like bootloader support) instead and going
> with gpt and wedges sounds a lot easier to me -

That would probably limit available options for a number of systems (like
practically all of the IBM PC crap in use today).

> and I'm not sure what
> recursive partitioning would add, feature wise.

Apart from providing another option for the cornered sysadmin, I'll argue
that most of the basic functionality is already implemented, and the
additions I proposed are either trivial, fit for other purposes, or both.

Baai,

De Zeurkous

Friggin' Machines!