Subject: Re: TFTP'ing RAMdisk at root mount time (updated patch)
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/05/2007 09:15:33
On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 04:25:16PM +0000, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
> Due to stupid limitations in the bootloader, there are issues with loading
> a kernel with a really big RAMdisk (more than around 10 MB). Because fixing
> the bootloader is not very appealing, I worked on another approach: the
> kernel boots with no RAMdisk embedded, and at root mount time, it
> downloads the RAMdisk through TFTP.

Here is an updated patch which is fully functionnal: the RAMdisk name is
retreived from DHCP, we grab it through TFTP and we use it.
http://ftp.espci.fr/shadow/manu/tftproot2.diff

There is work remaining to be done (Remove the nfs_boot code from NFS so
that TFTPROOT has no dependency on NFS, load gzip'ed RAMdisk, TFTP with
larger block size), but I beleive the code is actually usable and useful.

Any objection against the above patch beeing committed?

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
manu@netbsd.org