Subject: Re: USB GPS on NetBSD
To: David Howland <dhowland@users.sourceforge.net>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/02/2007 08:30:26
On Tue, 01 May 2007 23:55:50 -0400
David Howland <dhowland@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Can anyone fill me in to the status of the Delorme Earthmate USB GPS
> device on NetBSD?  There seems to be a large gap of information. I
> have a lot of info from 2005 about accessing the device in userland
> with the so-called gpsd-emul library.  That seems to be a less than
> desirable solution. I also see the ucycom driver, written by Nick
> Hudson, that supposedly supports the device. However, I with a
> GENERIC kernel, I get this output upon plugging it in: uhidev1 at
> uhub0 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0 uhidev1: DeLorme Publishing
> DeLorme USB Earthmate, rev 1.00/0.01, addr 3, iclass 3/0 uhid1 at
> uhidev1: input=32, output=32, feature=5 It is being detected as uhid,
> which by my understanding makes the device useless.  Why does ucycom
> not detect it? If anyone knows how these things should be
> configured/accessed, please, PLEASE let me know.  Once I get this
> thing working I'd be glad to write some documentation/help files for
> it. thanks, -d

If I understand the man page correctly, ucycom is attached to uhidev,
so that much is correct.  For example, I have a ucom which attaches
to umodem, and the device identification is printed for the umodem, not
the ucom.  The question is why ucycom isn't picking up the device.  I'd
check the vendor and product ids against the table in ucycom.c.