Subject: Re: Asynchronous I/O
To: Mindaugas R. <rmind@NetBSD.org>
From: Tobias Nygren <tnn@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/25/2007 14:00:33
Mindaugas R. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As some of you already know, I have made a support for POSIX Asynchronous I/O.
> Essentially, it is done, but there probably may be some optimizations,
> improvements and, of course, more testing, testing and testing. I have run a
> POSIX Test-Suite, and mostly (there are few details in POSIX strictness) it
> looks OK. Some tests fails because we have not full support for signaling
> mechanism (which is used in tests), and some because tests are buggy.

Out of curiosity, have you done any testing with "real" applications?
For example www/squid and the lighttpd development version are said to
have AIO support. There are also patches for MySQL4. It would be
interesting to know if there are any performance benefits.
(I realize that there are still optimizations left to be done.)

Regards,
-Tobias