Subject: Re: Solution(?) to kern/28804: quotacheck crashes on FFSv2
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/23/2007 19:52:42
On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 01:53:53PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> The only big disadvantage of quotas is that it takes too long to run
> quotacheck after a crash.  I wish it could be run in the background on a
> live filesystem where quotas are already turned on, but unless I'm
> mistaken that won't work even on FFSv2 (never mind the risk that the
> quota file might be dangerously corrupted after a crash too).

This would be a job for fsck. fsck already has all the informations to
update the quota file when it's done, and quotas should be inclued in
the journalling system when we get one. In short, I think the
quota system should be more integrated to the filesystem code, especially
for storage of quota values. It should probably become a metadata of the
filesystem, rather than a file in the VFS space.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>