Subject: Re: phasing out mfs; make init(8) use tmpfs?
To: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@swapsimple.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/18/2007 14:12:28
--V0207lvV8h4k8FAm

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 01:56:58PM -0600, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 17, 2007 at 03:39:29AM +0900, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
> > erh@swapsimple.com wrote:
> >=20
> > What's the problem on trying both?
>=20
> It makes init bigger. (only a little)
> It puts a stumbling block in the way of phasing out mfs entirely.
>=20
> Keeping it as a compatibility feature is fine, but if we're really
> getting rid of mfs we should define a timeframe for when stuff like
> this goes away.  e.g. "init will stop supporting mount_mfs in NetBSD 5"

I'd say put the fail-back in for a while with an after-the-fact log=20
message (so the log message actually goes somewhere since we made=20
/dev/console).

After a while (a major release in the release stream and a few months in=20
-current), take the failover code out.

Take care,

Bill

--V0207lvV8h4k8FAm