Subject: Re: kauth and access to process credentials
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Doran <ad@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/18/2007 16:29:01
On Sun, Feb 18, 2007 at 02:10:23PM +0000, David Laight wrote:

> The kauth code seems to be full of wrapper functions.
>
> In particular every peice of code that needs to look at one of the
> process's uids ends up calling a function.

Is this mainly internal to kauth or external?

> This might be reasonable for LKMs, but for code that is linked into the
> main kernel image rather OTT.

I'm stating the obvious, but memory/decoder cache footprint can be a bigger
concern than function calls. Often it really does make sense to ensure that
inlines are kept small, and anything more complicated than a few lines of
code is put into a function.

On a tangent: why are VOP arguments staged in structures and not passed
directly? Conceivably that could make more work for the compiler, as it
might not be able to assume that the arguments don't change across function
calls. I know there are a few people interested in changing syscalls to use
the C calling convention. That is a bigger can of worms though.

Cheers,
Andrew