Subject: Re: AW: problems in a full ffs file system
To: Peter Jordan <p.jordan@teles.de>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/16/2007 21:25:47
On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 02:40:24PM +0100, Peter Jordan wrote:
> Sorry,
>
> I forgot to explain this more in detail,
>
> If I fill a file with much a characters and then I see something others at
> the end of teh file:
>
> aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
> aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
> aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
> aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
> aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
>
> also occured that I saw at the end of the file the content of the
> bash-history or other stuff, which I did not wrote into the file. It is
> something else.

This looks a lot like something I occasionally observed on a server with
quotas: when a user reaches his quota and keeps trying to write, we
eventually find these data in some other files: either in pages belonging
to executable (in this case, the executable core dumps), or in some other
files that was being written at the same time. But I've never been able to
reproduce it reliably (this was observed once every few months while overquota
users occurs daily), and I've not seen it since I upgraded from 1.6.2 to 3.x

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>