Subject: Re: S_IFREG support to mknod(2)
To: Antti Kantee <pooka@cs.hut.fi>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/16/2007 16:51:45
On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 01:19:04AM +0200, Antti Kantee wrote:
> Heya,
>
> Some FUSE file systems use mknod(2) to implement the counterpart
> of VOP_CREATE.  The mknod(2) on Linux can take S_IFREG or'd to mode
> for creating regular files.  This is also explicitly noted as allowed
> non-portable behaviour by SUS.  And e.g. Solaris supports this also.
>
> The following adds the same functionality to our sys_mknod().
> Any opposed?

Not really, but you've made me look at sys_mknod()!

AFAICT the recent changes for vn_start_write() have broken the error paths.

As well as seeming to require some horrid (and replicated - probably
elsewhere as well) code sequences that are likely (on the face of it)
to get erronously copied to/from other places - especially since most of
the code looks to be of the 'rarely executed' sort (where errors can
remain hidden for years).

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk