Subject: Re: phasing out mfs; make init(8) use tmpfs?
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/15/2007 18:04:41
On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 11:55:51PM +0000, Geoff Wing wrote:
> David Young <dyoung@pobox.com> typed:
> : Is there anywhere TMPFS cannot replace MFS, and work at least as well?
> : If not, is it ok if we begin to phase MFS out?
>
> It doesn't have whitespace objects (so you can't do upper layer union mounts
> with it).

Do you use union mounts in this way on /dev/, today, or is this purely
hypothetical?  I ask because I have never been able to rely on union
mounts for anything, although it is my understanding that reliably may
have improved with recent changes by Chuck Silvers.

> : I believe the only part of the system that depends on MFS is init(8).
> : If init(8) finds /dev/console missing, it creates /dev/ and runs MAKEDEV
> : in it.  I have attached a patch that makes init(8) use TMPFS, instead.
>
> Only TMPFS?  What if TMPFS fails?

I agree with you and Izumi Tsutsui, MFS ought to be attempted if TMPFS
fails.

> Also what about config files?  No arch has it in INSTALL and only five have
> it in GENERIC.

I will have to treat that problem, too.

Dave