Subject: Re: poolifying fileassoc
To: YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/06/2007 11:13:21
On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 08:29:22AM +0900, YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:

> it takes too much arguments.

Yes I know - the list kept getting longer and longer everytime I
worked out what was causing something to break.  I will have a look
and see if I can change some of those booleans into an "action"
variable as I think that some of them are mutally exclusive.

> it should be more self-contained, IMO.
> eg. it's better to make uvm_io_done acquire locks by itself.

For some reason I have always thought that acquiring a lock is an
expensive operation and I have tried to avoid release locks only to
acquire them shortly after.  Even typing that sounds wrong - locks
should be released ASAP but not before.  I know that the locks are
held just prior to uvm_io_done() being called, I will look at
releasing those locks and then acquiring them again in uvm_io_done()
as required.

--
Brett Lymn