Subject: Re: fiber channel recommendations?
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/10/2007 09:47:43
--IrhDeMKUP4DT/M7F

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 12:28:49AM -0500, George Georgalis wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 02:17:00PM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> >I assume you're really talking about the parallel SCSI above. It's calle=
d=20
> >SPI (SCSI Parallel Interface), or parallel SCSI,when the difference=20
> >matters.

[snip]

> I may have not been completely clear. it turns out the
> raid enclosure I'm looking at, the Comet SATA II 16eU from
> http://caeneng.com/ does have a scsi u320 interface, so no FC
> needed.
>=20
> SPI, that I'm not sure what is what. So the data is sent serial
> but the devices are wired parallel? Is there such a thing as non
> SPI SCSI?

Ultra SCSI, U160, U320, those are all forms of SPI. SPI is the cabling=20
that comes to mind when most folks hear, "SCSI." You already know SPI,=20
just not its name. ;-)

Yes, there are non-SPI SCSI forms. iSCSI and SAS and FC all use SCSI=20
commands (and SCSI tasks and all of the detail of the SCSI task model),=20
but they aren't the big parallel cables of SPI. :-)

Take care,

Bill

--IrhDeMKUP4DT/M7F

--IrhDeMKUP4DT/M7F--