Subject: Re: RAID-diagnostic with amr-driver
To: Paul Ripke <stix@stix.id.au>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/30/2006 06:12:02
On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 09:54:17PM +1100, Paul Ripke wrote:

> ktruss says:
>
>   1597      1 amrctl   __sysctl(0xbfbfea3c, 0x2, 0xbbbd9a00, 0xbfbfea44, 0, 0) = 0
>   1597      1 amrctl   open("/dev/amr0", 0, 0x8049aa2) = 3
>   1597      1 amrctl   ioctl(0x3, AMR_IO_VERSION, 0xbfbfea74) = 0
>        "\M^Y\0\0\0"
>   1597      1 amrctl   ioctl(0x3, AMR_IO_COMMAND, 0xbfbfe0ec) Err#5 EIO
>        "\M-!\^N\0\0\0M\M-1\M-;\0\M-D\M->o<\M-k\M-?\M-;`\M-1\M->\M-;\0\0\0\0\^A\0\0\0\M^]q\M-?\M-;\M-@\M-"\^D\b\0\^D\0"
>
> Which made me think it was hardware support lacking.

Well, the hardware should certainly be able to give you the status of
the RAID volumes and physical drives.  What's lacking, probably, is
support in amrctl for composing the right enquiry command for firmware
with interface version 0.

I might get a chance to look at this in a few weeks though the old AMI
cards I had were so unreliable I threw them all out.  The newer ones
seem much better.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon	                                     tls@rek.tjls.com
  "The liberties...lose much of their value whenever those who have greater