Subject: Re: NAMECACHE_ENTER_REVERSE (Re: CVS commit: src/sys/kern)
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@astron.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/28/2006 14:11:01
--924gEkU1VlJlwnwX

On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 08:48:37PM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> In article <20061128194624.95DA811705@yamt.dyndns.org>,
> YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp> wrote:
>=20
> >if vnode -> name translation is really necessary, it should be
> >implemented in upper layers.  (caller of VOPs, not filesystems.)
>=20
> how? can you please elaborate?

I think the idea is that if you need the path, save the path from when you=
=20
have it, rather than depend on being able to get it again later.

For instance, for procfs's "exe" symlink, rather than depend on reverse=20
name cache entries, save the path you originally used to exec the program=
=20
in the first place. :-)

Take care,

Bill