Subject: Re: quad dual core dmesg
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 11/08/2006 16:09:19
On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 08:28:07PM +0100, Juan RP wrote:
>On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 14:13:07 -0500
>"George Georgalis" <george@galis.org> wrote:
>
>> I'm evaluating an 8 core 1-u (heh), and I notice
>> something strange with the SATA drive, the "hands
>> on" person says it's an SATA, but it looks like an
>> ATA.  What's going on with pciide0 vs pciide1?
>>
>> are there any other compatibility issues I've not
>> noticed?
>
>The problem with the SATA controller is that the viaide
>driver in 3.1 does not support this one (MCP55).
>
>The following commit added support for your controller:
>
>revision 1.30
>date: 2006/06/17 08:03:14;  author: xtraeme;  state: Exp;  lines: +34 -2
>Enable support for NVIDIA MCP04 and MCP55 IDE/SATA Controllers, tested
>by rillig with MCP55.

Thanks for pointing that out. It sounds good. but
I don't understand how the commit will move into a
regular tag.

http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/pci/viaide.c?rev=1.30&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&only_with_tag=MAIN

It's in MAIN now; but I'm reluctant to try it
until I get local hardware---will it work with an
otherwise 3-1 tree?

I presume testing and time is required before it
gets a netbsd-3-1 or netbsd-3-1-1 tag?  Which
one? Will that go quickly or is this anticipated
to take a while? or is this slated for 4-0?

I'm not anticipating any issues other than no DMA
speed.... is that correct? does that mean ATA/66
rate?

// George