Subject: Re: state of BUFQ_PRIOCSCAN
To: YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp>
From: Sumantra Kundu <sumantra@gmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/20/2006 09:50:10
To join in the discussion, let me point out that as part of google
summer of code 2006, we initiated a project (mentor: Bill  Studenmund)
to implement congestion control inside the uvm so that in the presence
of multiple readers and writers, disk access gets skewed towards the
readers process.

The algo works well till the number of free pages drops to a ciritical
low level and the page daemon gets fired. This causes the reader
processes to stall since there are no pages to read in the data.. The
degradation in performance (when the pdaemon gets fired) was observed
to --indepedent-- of the bufq strategy (prioscan, scan, cscan)..
Hence, it is not surprising that  BUFQ_PRIOCSCAN does not work as
pointed out.

Since we have  indications that the dynamics of the pdaemon needs to
be investigated, we are currently trying to understand the process of
page getting dirtied and treat them as important events in our
framework. Currently, the work is in the prelim stages; updates will
be posted as and when available.

Thanks,
Sumantra

This observation