Subject: Re: Further scheduler changes
To: Daniel Sieger <dsieger@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/19/2006 06:01:48
Daniel Sieger wrote:
> Hi,
> I spoke to some faculty staff this morning and I'd have the chance to
> work on the NetBSD scheduler as a part of my course of studies. Within
> the scope of this project I think I could manage to design and
> implement the above mentioned abstract scheduler framework and at
> least one additional scheduling scheme. Before starting to work on
> this I would need to know if such a framework is wanted by the
> NetBSD project and how chances are that the framework could be
> integrated into the source tree, given reasonable stability and
> performance.
>
> Regards,
> Daniel

I think it would be cool.  Solaris' scheduler framework is very nice,
and one of the things they do is have an "interactive" scheduler class,
where the top most window (whatever has focus) gets a slight priority bump.

I can also imagine that having fixed priorities could be useful for
certain classes of embedded application.

General Dynamics C4 Systems
http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/
Phone: 951 325-2134  Fax: 951 325-2191