Subject: Re: proposal for changes to todr interface
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/06/2006 20:02:37
On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 03:51:17AM +0900, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
> thorpej@shagadelic.org wrote:
>
> > Yah, device_register() could set a "todr-use-localtime" property to
> > <true/> or <false/>, and MI drivers could query that.
>
> A bit off topic, but I wonder if we could pass a rtc_offset info
> from bootloader (which could set the value by installboot or
> from some config file) so that we don't have to recompile or
> modify kernels only for options RTC_OFFSET.
> (for people who don't like rtclocaltime in rc.conf ;-p)

rc.conf is a bit late, maybe the kernel could take it directly from
a file (or symlink) in the root filesystem.

The problem with having the rtc set to localtime is that you have to
change the RTC_OFFSET option (at least) twice a year.
Doing that by modifying the bootblocks doesn't seem sensible!

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk