Subject: Re: VIPT cache handling (Re: port-sh3/34243)
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/06/2006 09:00:52
On Sep 6, 2006, at 8:39 AM, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:

> - make VA pages uncached if the requested VAs to be mapped for
>   single PA have different virtual cache page indexes

If all of the mappings are read-only, then you don't necessarily have
to make them uncached, because the cache lines could never be dirty.
In this situation, so long as your CPU doesn't generate some sort of
coherency exception, the only "problem" is redundant data in the
cache.  I believe the ARM pmap implements this strategy, but I would
double-check if I were you because I could be remembering
incorrectly :-)

-- thorpej