Subject: Re: umodem
To: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/30/2006 17:43:00
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 12:56:05 +1000, Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 02:29:35PM +1000, Daniel Carosone wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 03:46:57PM +0200, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> > > ... but fixed in 4.99.1 (as of today).
> >
> > Excellent!  I'll update my machine, undo the workaround, and
> > (hopefully) confirm it works for me soon.
>
> Alas, no dice. If I change 'local' back to 'modem' in the ppp options
> file for the peer, I still get the carrier dropped immediately after
> the CONNECT string, I presume when chat exits and hands the fd back to
> pppd.

Too late, this rang a bell.  I use the following script instead of 'chat'
with my umodem EVDO card:

#!/bin/ksh
exec 0</dev/ttyU0
exec 1>/dev/ttyU0
/usr/sbin/chat -s -v -V -t 10 -f /etc/ppp/peers/vz

This forces it to hold the device open.  (Maybe the problem I had had is
fixed; I posted various things about this 6-8 months ago, as I recall.)