Subject: RFC: est.c driver synced with OpenBSD.
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Juan RP <juan@xtrarom.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/28/2006 15:04:27
Hi,

A have a new laptop (Compaq Presario V4000) and I tried NetBSD
to see how it works, so far so fine but SpeedStep didn't work.

After adding the entries to it I made it work, but after looking at the
FreeBSD/OpenBSD code I think it's better to sync our code with them.

I synced the code with OpenBSD -current.

Full dmesg with new code:

http://www.xtrarom.org/~juan/PresarioV4000.dmesg

New est.c driver for review:

http://www.xtrarom.org/~juan/new_est.diff

New code does the following:

* Adds support for more Pentium M processors (and VIA C7 M
   but not on this patch).
* Reimplements the Enhanced SpeedStep CPU detection by using
   quintuplet { vendor, MHz_hi, mV_hi, MHz_lo, mV_lo }, which matches
   cpus more correctly that parsing the brand string.
* It makes easier to add new models.

Can you please review or comment about it?

Thanks.