Subject: USB card reader
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Danielsson <jan.danielsson@gmail.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/19/2006 01:19:21
--------------enigBA40B95FA9CB541EFD5D3ADA

Hello,

   I have an USB multi-card (SD, CF, etc) reader in my NetBSD/amd64 3.0
system. It is behaving oddly, IMHO. When I boot an Ubuntu LiveCD on this
particular system, and insert a SD card into the card reader, it detects
the card, and mounts it.

   When I have NetBSD booted and insert a SD card into the reader, I get
no response from the console (which I kind of expected to get, since it
does print some stuff when I insert my USB memory stick), but the
reader's LED lights up. I tried mounting various Usual Suspects
(/dev/sd0e, /dev/sd1e, etc), without any luck. Anyway.. What's worse is
that I get this:

# usbdevs -v
Controller /dev/usb0:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000), VIA
Technologies(0x1106), rev 1.00
 port 1 powered
 port 2 powered
Controller /dev/usb1:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000), VIA
Technologies(0x1106), rev 1.00
 port 1 powered
 port 2 powered
Controller /dev/usb2:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000), VIA
Technologies(0x1106), rev 1.00
 port 1 powered
 port 2 powered
Controller /dev/usb3:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000), VIA
Technologies(0x1106), rev 1.00
 port 1 powered
 port 2 powered

   It doesn't seem to detect the card reader at all.

   I assumed that the usbdevs command is like the "scanpci" command, so
it doesn't really care about drivers and driver support, but rather just
dumps everything it finds. Is this correct? Because then I'm *really*
confused.

   As I stated above, the USB controller, card reader and card work - I
have verified this using an Ubuntu LiveCD.

   If I have misunderstood the "usbdevs" command, is there some other
way to low-level enumerate the USB devices?

--=20
Kind Regards,
Jan Danielsson
Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.