Subject: Re: ACPI, APM, and Sysmon interaction
To: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
From: Jachym Holecek <freza@dspfpga.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/19/2006 21:54:32
# Garrett D'Amore 2006-07-19:
> Jachym Holecek wrote:
> > Somewhat aside -- given that various PM related states/levels are going
> > to be MD (or even {device,bus}-specific -- I'd like to resume my work on
> > per-device PM soon, BTW), there's probably not much point in trying to
> > abstract things too much. We should just use reasonably self-descriptive
> > strings to refer to power states and document them somewhere in .4
> > manual pages. Plain integers would work just as nicely.
> >

> self-descriptive strings are better, IMO.

Depending on how things get implemented, it may be desirable to compare
power levels so that high-level (kernel) code can tell if the system is
going "towards OFF" or "towards ON" -- this would be easier with integers.

Anyway, this is probably not something we need to consider too hard right
now (for example: kernel code can easily operate with integers, and map
them to/from strings at ioctl() level).

	-- Jachym